Looking for something specific from my blog? Search for it here

February 17, 2009

Scared of Risotto?

For a long time, risotto seemed like such a daunting yet exciting meal to prepare.  It took me a while to finally muster the courage to make it, in fear of screwing it up.  BOY WAS IT WORTH IT. I don't know why I didn't try earlier!  After seeing Giada (de Laurentiis, duh.  Is there another one?) make risotto a zillion times (I watch re-runs), I finally tackled it myself.  It was so much easier than I thought, and I can honestly say I had so much fun making it!  Whodathunkit?  I told my mom how much of a blast it was, and she thinks I'm craaaazy.  But then again, all things food are abnormally awesome to me.  I am, after all, the girl with the buds.
Back to risotto... I came up with a recipe that actually is not unhealthy.  No cream, just a little butter, and I use turkey bacon.  I folded some cheese in at the end for an added element of gooey comfort but it really isn't too harmful.  Want my recipe?
  • -7-8 cups chicken broth
  • -1/2 stick unsalted butter
  • -1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • -2 cloves garlic
  • -3 slices turkey bacon (can use regular if you prefer), finely chopped
  • -2.5 cups thinly sliced portobello mushrooms
  • -1lb arborio rice
  • -salt and pepper to taste
  • -2 cups grated parmesan or asiago cheese, or a mixture
Place chicken broth in pot and heat on the stove.  In a new, rather large pan (the risotto expands as it cooks), saute the onion with butter.  Crack garlic cloves so the flavor is released and add to the pan whole.  Stir onion and garlic occasionally, until onions are translucent, about 7 minutes.  Remove garlic cloves.  Add chopped bacon and stir mixture well.  After 2 minutes, add mushrooms and stir well.  One minute later, add the rice and mix well.  Add 1 cup of chicken broth at a time, stirring constantly.  Once broth has been absorbed, add another cup.  Repeat this process until all 7-8 cups of chicken broth are absorbed.  When finished, fold in cheese.
ENJOY!
Moral of the story?  Try making something that scares you!

No comments:

Post a Comment