Looking for something specific from my blog? Search for it here

February 21, 2009

Bomb Meatballs

So I am recuperating after a fantastic dinner. Sitting on the couch with some kitties, chocolate, white wine, and lap top.  Thus, it's the perfect time to blog.  I made some killer meatballs for din-din and I've been thinking about sharing the recipe ever since I bit into one of those bomb 'balls.  I had the idea of stuffing the meatballs with a cube of fresh mozzarella cheese, and in searching for more recipe ideas, I came across one by queen Giada that actually did just that.  So I used her recipe but made a few changes to make the balls my own (balls balls balls).  Here is the recipe
1 lb-ish ground beef (I used 80/20--meaning 80% lean, 20% fat)
1 small onion, grated--creating an onion pulp
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 egg, beaten
2 tbs ketchup
2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup italian style bread crumbs
Season with salt and pepper
About 4-6 ounces of fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
Mix the beef, onion, garlic, egg, ketchup, parmesan, and bread crumbs together. Roll into golfball size balls, and place a cube of mozzarella in the center and reform around the cheese.  This recipe should yield approximately 20 balls, depending on the size you choose.  Place them onto a baking sheet that is covered with parchment paper.  Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes exactly.  
The mozzarella oozes out of the balls slightly and makes for a delectable presentation.  I serve them with a hearty pasta and marinara sauce (I use Newman's Own marinara, its the closest to homemade I've ever found). You have to try these!
Moral of the story? Dump the man; no balls will make you happier than these.

No comments:

Post a Comment