Looking for something specific from my blog? Search for it here

March 2, 2009

Let's Get Juicy


So, I received a request from an avid blog reader, and by avid blog reader I mean friend, inquiring about
fresh juice. Earlier this year I purchased a juicer, the Juiceman Salton Elite, to be precise.  Best of all, I got it half-off at Tuesday Morning. Honestly, Tuesday Morning has to be my favorite store in the frickin' world. As obsessed with all-things-kitchen as I am, I go there for every kitchen appliance my heart desires.  The price of everything is slashed by at least 50%--being a penny-pinchin' college student, Tuesday Morning is pretty much the equivalent of winning the lottery. (To find one near you, go to www.tuesdaymorning.com) Oops, tangent. Anyway, back to juicy juice! Having a juicer is seriously a great luxury. There is nothing like a refreshing glass of fruity sweetness to wake up to in the morning (comparatively speaking, not even David Beckham or Edward Cullen suffice, meowww).  I always (pretty much always) sneak a carrot in my juice; it adds a subtle sweetness but more importantly it adds a lot of nutrients, such as beta carotene. Another key to absolutely amazing juice is pineapple (of course, you must like it in the first place). I personally LOVE pineapple, and if it's in season it makes for an insanely delicious juice just by itself, or with strawberries, blueberries, apples, etc. Here are some other fresh juice recipes, some of which came with the Juiceman and some I created to please my own buds. I am not going to include carrot or pineapple in the following recipes--because you can really add whatever fruits or veggies sound good to you. Just know that those are great tricks.

  Sunshine Cocktail: 2 apples,  5 strawberries

  Grapefruit Sugga Mama (sans sugar): 1 grapefruit (the whole thing!--white part included),  1 apple (the sweetness from the apple supplements the bitterness of the white parts of the grapefruit)

  Citrus Cocktail (white parts of all fruits included):  1/2 grapefruit,  2 oranges,  and 1/4 lemon 

  Fluorescent Sunrise: 1 mango (flesh only),  1 orange,  and 3 strawberries

  Hap-pee-pee: 3/4 cup cranberries,  2 apples

Now for some not-so-tasty but good-for-you combinations!  I make "shots" of these to boost my health, vitamin intake and immune system function. Although they're not the greatest taste-wise, they put veggies in my tummy that normally would be absent from my diet--so I appreciate them and all they do for me!

  Mean Greeny:  Handful of spinach spinach leaves,  1/2 carrot

  Energizer Bunny:  Handful of parsley,  1/2 carrot,  and 1/2 beet

  Hidden Immunity Idol (Survivor fans...):  1/4 celery stalk,  4 sprigs parsley,  1/4 carrot,  and 1/2 tomato

While you're at it, throw in anything that's good for you and chug, chug, chug! Some SO delicious, some not so much, either way, your bod with thank you!
Moral of the story? These recipes will have you feeling juicy, and looking even juicier (meowww). 
*photo is from the Juiceman website (www.juiceman.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment