Looking for something specific from my blog? Search for it here

March 10, 2009

Home From the Festival... Sad Buds


I returned home from Charleston today. My buds haven't been their normal selves since; nothing tastes good anymore! That may be a slight exaggeration, but they are very spoiled. Consequently, I must tell you why, again. I already "blogged" about the BEST MEAL EVERRR, so now it's time to tell you about the second best.  It was a "Here's to Beer" dinner, thusly, I drank lots-o-beer. And I don't even like beer very much! That is probably why it is ranked second, because the BEST MEAL EVERRR was a wine dinner, and I would choose wine over beer any day of the week. Even Murnsday---my made up weekly holiday. That's irrelevant. Anyway. Although beer ain't my thing, the food was pretty damn good. So I'm going to tell you about it! Course by course, of course...
First course:
Sliced beef tenderloin atop garlic crostini with blue cheese sauce. I am definitely going to make this bad boy! The crisp crostini and the tender beef together have the perfect texture combination.  The blue cheese adds another element of flavor that carries the hors d'oeuvre sky high. The second hors d'oeuvre was barely seared tuna served on a thin cucumber slice topped with preserved lemon creme fraiche. It was quite delicious as well... As you can imagine.
Second course:
Pan-seared (perfectly freakin' cooked) scallops served with an arugula salad and pink grapefruit segments. The pepper-flavor of the arugula added nice seasoning to the scallops, and the citrus from the grapefruit rounded out the dish. The couple across from me did not eat seafood, and I cannot explain how much it killed me to see those perfect scallops go to waste. You do not leave something so wonderful on a plate; you just don't. 
Third course:
Fried oysters!! Yum-yum! Along with them were fried pepper rings. The fried jalapenos were awesome. They contributed just the right amount of heat; a jalapeno ring with an oyster was the perfect bite!  
Fourth course:
Lacquered pork belly with spinach puree and petite heirloom carrots. This dish was utterly divine, but it's no wonder why considering the fat content. My pork belly happened to be incredibly fatty, which is good in the sense that it melts in your mouth like heaven, and bad in that I could have about a teaspoonful before I felt sick. As delicious as it may have been, this was the only dish I didn't completely devour all weekend!
Dessert course:
Espresso creme brulee garnished with freshly made caramel corn, and double chocolate gelato served with black currant sauce. Wow O Wow, you won't be surprised to learn that instead of walking, I rolled home like bubble boy. It was fabulous.
Gosh I need to stop writing about this. I'm salivating and I can't be because I have a whitening strip on my teeth. No more tantalizing descriptions! I must go!
Moral of the story? It's good to roll home every once in a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment