Looking for something specific from my blog? Search for it here

March 23, 2009

Giada on the Brain


I just returned from my beachy vacation, which means I need to stop eating as if I am still on vacation.  Isn't it funny how you work so hard to look good in a bikini before your trip, but when you get to your destination you consume at least 5 frozen pizzas in one week? Or maybe that's just me... But now that I am home from my vacation I should aim to makeup for what I ate there. But before I do that, I have to talk about Giada. Screw gettin' skinny;
Giada's food is sexier than me in a bikini! I missed her dearly, when I was away. But don't you worry, Giada, you're back on the tube 24/7. And I caught the most amazing episode when I arrived home called Art House. She turned her house into an art museum in honor of her artist friend Darren Quinn. The art and food were equally scrumptious. She made fried, stuffed olives, and skewered greek salads. And I freakin' LOVE olives and greek salads so these recipes really hit my culinary spot. And, lucky for you, here they are!

Italian Fried Olives:
1 ounce gorgonzola cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup ricotta cheese, at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
20 pitted green olives, rinsed and dried thoroughly
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
vegetable oil for frying
In a small bowl, combine the cheeses, thyme and lemon zest. Place the mixture into a pastry bag with a 1/4 inch opening or a re-sealable plastic bag of which you made a small cut at one corner. Pipe the cheese mixture into the olives. Place the flour, the beaten egg, and the bread crumbs into three separate, small bowls. Dredge the olives in the flour. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the olives into the egg bowl. After coating them in the egg, transfer the olives to the bread crumbs. Coat the olives in the bread crumbs. Fill a saucepan with oil (enough to fill the pan about 1/3 of the way). Heat over medium heat until the oil reaches about 350 degrees. Fry the olives in batches, for just 30 to 45 seconds until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel, cool for 5 minutes, and pop these bad boys in your mouth like there's no tomorrow! (the recipe does not actually say that, but do it anyway)

Skewered Greek Salad:
-for the Skewers:
24 grape or small cherry tomatoes
3 ounces feta cheese, cut into 12 (1/2 inch) cubes
12 pitted kalamata olives
1/2 small red onion, cut into 12 (1/2 inch) pieces
12 (6 inch) bamboo or wood skewers

-for the Vinaigrette:
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
salt and pepper
Thread each skewer with a tomato, a piece of feta, an olive, a piece of onion, and lastly, another tomato. Repeat with all the skewers and remaining ingredients. In a small bowl, mix together the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, and oregano. Whisk in the olive oil until the mixture thickens. Season with salt and pep.
Arrange the skewers on a serving platter and drizzle the vinaigrette over the skewers. Garnish with chopped oregano. 
The red tomatoes, purple onions, green oregano, and yellow vinaigrette make this appetizer super eye-pleasing. 
Moral of the story? Watching Giada, and therefore being madly enticed to make and eat her amazing food, is infinitely more fun than dwelling on what you ate over your vacation.
*photo is courtesy of foodnetwork.com

No comments:

Post a Comment