Looking for something specific from my blog? Search for it here

May 23, 2009

Delish Dessert Bars


I was watching my homegirl Giada the other day and I was not the least bit surprised when she made something that looked so delightful it made my buds' heart flutter (as well as my own). She made dessert bars using store bought sugar cookie dough--right there you can tell it's super easy, but of course she spiced them up a little bit with some decadent twists. Giada topped the sugar cookie sheet with orange marmalade, hazelnuts, and melted semisweet chocolate. My spin on it, although I would never pass up anything Giada made by any means, would be a little bit different. Only because I find the combination of strawberries and chocolate more seductively delicious. To find her recipe, go to foodnetwork.com and search for Giada's Orange and Nut Squares. And if you're interested in my rendition, here you go... But I offer 100% thanks to Giada for providing me with the foundation for this recipe and allowing me to get creative!
Strawberry ChocoNut Squares:
1 package store bought sugar cookie dough
1 cup strawberry jam
1.5 cups toasted and chopped almonds
1 cup chopped milk chocolate 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the dough out on a (about 9" by 12") cookie sheet to 1/4-inch thickness using your fingertips. Bake for 25 minutes and allow to cool somewhat. Spread the jam over the cookie--the residual heat from the oven will thin out the jam making it easier to spread. Sprinkle with the nuts. In a double boiler or in the microwave in 20 second increments (stirring in between), melt the chocolate. With a spoon, drizzle the melted chocolate over the cookie. Allow the cookie to cool. Cut into bars and EAT!
With regards to chocolate, you can use whatever chocolate or choco-combination you want. For instance, I like milk choco, or half milk/half semisweet choco if I'm in the mood for a middle ground of sweetness. You can also melt white chocolate and milk/semisweet/dark/etc. separately and drizzle them both over the cookie for a really pretty presentation. Whatever your chocolate desire may be--get creative!
Word the the Wise: Get creative with the jam/jelly too! Apricot, peach, raspberry--the choices are endless.
Moral of the Story? Is there anything sexier than chocolate, strawberries, AND store bought cookie dough!?! I think NOT. This recipe oozes decadence, seduction, and shortcuts!
*Photo is of Giada's recipe, found at foodnetwork.com

2 comments:

  1. Dear girl with the buds,
    I too have a blog of my own and some how came across yours! Although, I am not a cook in anyway (19 and just learned to make grilled cheese).. i decided to start trying some of these recipes! I just finished this one and can't wait to see how the bars turn out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw well thanks for checking me blog out! if you get a chance, let me know how those bars turned out!

    ReplyDelete