Looking for something specific from my blog? Search for it here

May 11, 2009

Sensational Steak

Whenever I hit up a fancy shmancy steakhouse, I always give the blue cheese crusted option a quadruple-take. A few years back, when my buds had the maturity equivalent to Billy Madison, I would have gagged at the sight of blue cheese.  But what have I been tellin' you all this time??These buds have flourished! They're big kids now! Nowadays I LOVE blue cheese. More importantly however, I love the combination of tangy blue cheese and juicy steak. The good thing is that if you are just warming up to the pungent flavor of blue cheese, you can adjust accordingly. If you like it in small doses, start slow. Once you develop an affinity for it (which you WILL cause it's DELICIOUS) you can pile on as much cheesy crust as you want. And honestly, the next time you make a steak there is no reason you shouldn't put this fancy spin on it.  All it takes is some cheese and bread crumbs. That's it! Give this bad boy a shot and you'll never hit up an expensive, shmancy steakhouse again. 

Blue Cheese Crusted Filet:
Filet mignon steaks (however many you are making--and it can be a different cut of meat if you prefer)
Blue cheese (or gorgonzola or roquefort (which are more tame)-- 1 to 2 tablespoons per steak depending on how cheesy you like it!)
Seasoned bread crumbs (equal ratio of cheese:crumbs per steak)
Salt and pep
Olive oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine the cheese and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Season the steaks on both sides with salt and pepper. Cook in pan over medium-high heat for approximately 2 minutes per side. Transfer steaks to a baking sheet and top with blue cheese mixture. Lightly drizzle the crust with olive oil. Finish cooking the steaks in the oven for approximately 4-7 minutes (4 minutes for medium-rare, 5-6 for medium, 7-8 for well done). In case you were wondering, I like medium-rare--JUICY JUICY JUICY! If you like a really crisp crust you can stick it under the broiler for a minute in place of a minute in the oven. 
Can you believe that's friggin' all it takes? This blue cheese crusted steak takes your average steak night to a whole new level--a level worthy of a pat on the back from your buds. Show them some love... Make this steak!
Moral of the Story? It doesn't take a fancy restaurant to eat such shmancy steaks; just some cheese and bread crumbs are all it takes! I rhyme.

1 comment:

  1. My taste buds have grown up a lot lately too, but I'm still not a huge blue cheese fan. I'll eat it if it's there in small quantities, but I'm not quite running for it.

    But anyway, totally agree that fancypants steaks are totally possible in the comfort of your own home. And medium rare is the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete