Looking for something specific from my blog? Search for it here

June 14, 2009

I Ate My Way Through LA!

Holy shnikies, it's been a while since I've "blogged"! Miso sorry... I missed you like celebrities miss carbs. I just got back from a short Los Angeles excursion.  If I could sum it up in three words they would be: I ATE GOOD! And boy was it fun. I was only there for two days but I feel like I was there for a week because of how many wonderful meals I had. I typically only get to experience a really good restaurant once or twice a week (money does not grow on trees people) so because I ate at an amazing restaurant for basically every meal my trip seemed longer, happily! I stayed with my lovely family friend and she made my trip extraordinary. The key to my heart is obviously through my stomach and she really won me over by taking me to the best restaurants in town. She also helped me narrow down what I want to do with my life--small stuff, really... NOT. And the conclusion is (drum roll please) "Food Journalism!" Anywho, I'm dying to tell you where I went--rather, where I ATE!  So away I go...

Monday June 8th--arrived just in time for din-din!:
Dinner @ Il Pastaio (A Drago brothers' restaurant in Beverly Hills). What did I eat, you ask? I had the refreshing Trittico salad composed of chopped radicchio, Belgium endive and arugula with a bud-tantalizing balsamic dressing, served with perfectly plump shrimp and topped with sweet mango. This salad was just what I needed after a long, less than pleasant plane ride (I seem to be a magnet for phlegmy men who emit repugnant odor--appetizing I know!)
Dessert @ Pinkberry--where else? A Cali staple.

Tuesday June 9th:
Breakfast--Sprinkles cupcakes! Red velvet and chocolate--devilishly delicious and sooo worth it.
Lunch @ Pizzeria Mozza--Mario Batali and Nancy Silverton's place (one of the many). In all seriousness, it was honestly probably the best pizza I have ever had. The crust was delectable--crispy yet chewy and oh so tasty! On the plane ride home I was reading Food and Wine magazine and it was featured right there... These buds are lucky!
Dinner @ Katsuya-- Such fabulous fish! Oh my goodness did this restaurant make me happy. My favorite dish was one of their signatures... Crispy Rice with Spicy Tuna. I'm telling you that if you do not live in California hop on a plane right now. 

Wednesday June 10th--departure day:
Breakfast @ M Cafe de Chaya--an up and coming cafe specializing in contemporary macrobiotic cuisine. (Word to the Wise: Chaya means Tea House.) They do not use any refined sugars, eggs, red meat or poultry. I had a heavenly croissant and Green Lemonade, which is made of freshly juiced lemons, natural honey and juiced kale! It was SO refreshingly delightful. Pardon my almost-French, but screw coffee; Green Lemonade energized me for hours! Not to mention it was yummy and super healthy.  
Moral of the Story? My buds are forever in debt to me for their royal treatment in Cali. I'm home and back to my standard restaurant experiences, sadly. But I suppose it is better to have eaten in LA and returned home than to have never eaten in LA at all.
*photo is of myself at M Cafe de Chaya

1 comment:

  1. Damn, you weren't messing around in LA. Mozza is incredible, isn't it? My parents took Michael and I there when he visited LA. I haven't been to Katsuya yet, but I've heard incredible things. Lucky lucky you!

    ReplyDelete