Looking for something specific from my blog? Search for it here

July 16, 2009

Deconstructed Pesto Pasta


I was hungry... so I made something to eat! SHOCKING, right? Well it turns out that a lot of awesome thoughts struck my brain during the ellipsis, providing me with the perfect formula for a sweet blog entry.  Excitement and happiness are still lingering on my buds because of how successful this dish was. Needless to say, the girl with the buds is pret-ty thrilled right now. Here's what happened...
A few weeks ago I went to a farmers market in down town Chicago with my dad. I left with small pots of fresh parsley and basil. I always liked the idea of having my own little herb garden so I was excited. Of course, by "garden" I mean pots on a table next to my 6th floor balcony window that I water with a dixie cup, but you get the gist. Anyway, the basil is flourishing big time. I thought, "I'm hungry and have so much basil... Basil basil basil, what to make?? PESTO!" I have all of the necessary ingredients: basil, parsley, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, garlic and olive oil. Woohoo, I thought! But then... DUM DUM DUMMM... I realized I'd have to dirty up a blender or food pressor, and then clean it, oh my! What fun is that? I was major bummed. So I thought, maybe I don't have to blend it. Maybe I can deconstruct the pesto so that it is equally delicious but easy to clean up. And I did. I used all of the standard pesto ingredients but in a different way. And it was delicious. You're welcome...

Deconstructed Pesto Pasta:
1 to 2 bunches basil, chopped
1 bunch parsley, chopped
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup (toasted) pine nuts
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbs butter 
1 lb spaghetti
salt and pep
as much parmesan cheese as you want!

Cook spaghetti in salted boiling water to al dente according to the directions on the box. As the pasta cooks, toast the pine nuts (if not toasted already) in a medium-sized pan over low heat. When toasted, set aside. In the same pan, heat up the olive oil and butter. Add the garlic to pan over low heat. Once pasta is cooked, add the pasta to the pan and coat the noodles with the oil/butter. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Still over low heat, add the chopped basil and parsley and toss. Turn off the heat and toss in the pine nuts. Top with parmesan and serve. Add all the parm in the world! 
The simplicity is glorious!
Moral of the story?  The beautiful taste of basil lingering on your palette will make your buds jump out of your mouth to smooch you on the lips. 

No comments:

Post a Comment