Looking for something specific from my blog? Search for it here

August 24, 2010

Restaurant Review: Mercadito Brunch

I have spent a decent amount of time at Mercadito since it opened. Usually consuming their illustrious cocktails with a group of equally content ladies in the wee hours of the night. Mercadito, perhaps, is to blame for many of my "it's noon already??" mornings. You know what they say... one tequila, two tequila, FIVE TEQUILA WHAT WAS I THINKING?! Don't they? Well this trip to Mercadito was different. On this occasion, this special, food-oriented occasion, I was with my mama and I was there by noon. Mommy's little angel, I know.
Let me assure you, mommy can eat. Where do you think I inherited this wonderful trait? We came prepared, extra stomachs in tow. I had heard some very flattering things--two stomachs worth as a matter of fact--about their brunch. Needless to say, we were ready to dive in.

To drink, I ordered the mango mimosa infused with green chili. I really enjoyed the subtle sting on my tongue. The chili cut the sweetness of the mango and transformed an ordinary mimosa into an interesting harmony of sweet and savory.
My mom ordered a cappuccino, which I wouldn't even mention if she weren't so pleased that they heated the extra milk she ordered on the side. Again, attention to minuscule details can make a big difference in a dining experience. Mercadito definitely scored some bonus points from my mama.

After perusing the menu and discussing the top contenders with our adorable server, we narrowed our options down. The winners were:

Huevos Ahagados--poached eggs atop crispy corn bread served with a heaping tablespoon of chipotle-hollandaise sauce. This dish obviously resembles a benedict, however, the english muffin is upgraded to cornbread. If you could hear my voice as you read, it would be elevated to an overwhelming scream as I say HAVE YOU EVER EATEN YOLK COVERED CORNBREAD?!? Where had it been all my life, I wondered. I love yolk--yolk on toast is one of my favorite peasant meals of all time, and I love cornbread--well made cornbread can be more gratifying than birthday cake. It all seemed so simple... Thankfully, Mercadito played matchmaker to this bud-tantalizing couple.
Estrellados y Tampiquena--rosemary marinated skirt steak topped with sunny side up eggs, served with potato-rajas-cactus fundido (basically a delicious potato-pepper hash). After reading the previous paragraph, you make me shocked to discover that this dish was my favorite. That's right my friends, this rendition of steak and eggs was out of this world. The only thing better than cornbread drizzled with runny egg yolk is a perfect medium-rare skirt steak. The steak was absolutely delicious, from the marinade to the preparation. Throw the eggs into the mix and there you have it... Brunch heaven. You must go to Mercadito brunch and try this dish--your brunch repertoire cannot be complete without it. It is just one of those oh-so-satisfying breakfasts.
Pan Mexicano--mexican french toast topped with apples and cajeta (sweetened caramelized milk). Another delicious marriage. This one is actually more like a delectable threesome. Who doesn't love french toast? And who isn't weak in the knees for apples smothered in caramel? Together, a sexier threesome than you joining Brad and Angelina. I can't say it was strategic, but we ordered this dish last, which was a brilliant idea because it was basically dessert. If you're like me, you usually need something sweet to conclude a meal. And I mean the 'get-out-of-my-way-or-I'll-punch-you' type of need something sweet. Pan Mexicano did the trick. It was a fantastic consummation to our brunch.
Moral of the Story? I don't care how many Pepino El Pyus you drank the night before, you must make it to Mercadito's brunch or you will be more sorry than Brad and Angelina after they realize their sexual liaisons were outdone by french toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment